Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Math, Music, and Siblings

Glitter is almost done with kindergarten math (RightStart Level A). I plan on having her do the last lesson of her book tomorrow. Then I'll move her on to the next book (RightStart Level B), even though she is still in kindergarten.

Sparkle's math is coming along more slowly. She is almost done with the second grade Miquon books. I expect her to finish them by the end of the month. She is also almost done with the first grade word problems book. I expect her to finish it by the end of the semester. Then hopefully she'll be ready to move on to a third grade math textbook. After all, she is in third grade.

I am trying to prepare myself that Glitter may eventually outpace her older sister in math. I doubt that she will surpass Sparkle's ability with rote calculations, but she might catch up conceptually.

Similarly, Glitter has passed her sister in the Suzuki aspects of their piano lessons. Glitter practices piano even when she doesn't have to. As a result, Glitter learned their most recent Suzuki song before Sparkle. (Okay, she got her right-hand sticker first only by a matter of minutes, but still, that's impressive given the age difference, and the fact that Glitter got no formal instruction on the song.)

Glitter has a passion for math and music that Sparkle doesn't have. I hope that doesn't discourage Sparkle. Sparkle's talent for drawing and spelling hasn't frustrated Glitter. However, it's natural for an older sibling to do something better than you. It's something else when the ages are flipped.

1 comment:

  1. I think there will be some similar things with my girls. Being 2-3 years apart feels like a lot when they are tiny, but as they grow and develop the age gap seems less pronounced. I think my main goal will be that big sis not get bitter about it, so making sure that I encourage them both in their different gifts. It's hard being a parent!

    ReplyDelete