Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

First Tea Time

I decided to try doing a "Teatime" with Sparkle as a way to help her practice her table manners and to introduce her to rich language in the form of poetry.

I got the idea from the BraveWriter web site.

For our first teatime, I got some crumbcake from Walmart and made hot chocolate from scratch. I spread our blue tablecloth over the kitchen table and got out mugs. Sparkle wanted to set the mugs on the table and in her excitement, dropped one on the tile floor.


After I cleaned up the broken shards and calmed Sparkle down, I pressed on. Although it seemed that teatime was doomed, I was determined to make it a success.

Sparkle then spilled her hot chocolate on her dress in two places.



However, my determination won out the day. Sparkle enjoyed the hot chocolate and poetry. She fell in love with a poem by A.A. Milne called "Buckingham Palace" and had me read it through several times.



I'm glad that I decided to try teatime when Glitter was in preschool. Between the broken mug, spilled hot chocolate, and my requirement for "best behavior" I don't think that Glitter would have enjoyed the experience.

However, Sparkle and I have since had two more Tuesday Tea's and she has enjoyed all of them, and even read "Buckingham Palace" on her own at the most recent teatime.

No comments:

Post a Comment