Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Monday, February 15, 2010

a lack of documentation

Our homeschool suffers from a lack of documentation. I hate generating and keeping paperwork, so we don't have much to show for the school we do. It is also easy to forget what we've done. For example, today we went on a nature walk. While the girls were sitting and drawing, I saw a flock of birds swarming around a tree. I pulled out the binoculars and peered at them. I got a good view of several birds lighting on various branches and pecking off the red berries. The binoculars gave a fantastic view - I could actually see a bird grasp the berry in its beak, pull it off, and eat it. However, I sadly thought that I will forget this moment. Sparkle was already drawing a flower in the dirt. I wasn't up to drawing and I couldn't get a picture with my camera.

Earlier on the nature walk we played the observation game. We sat on a swinging bench and commented about the different things we observed - the plants, the pillars, the flowers, the leaves, the wind, etc. I was pleased when Glitter observed the sound of the chain on the swing clinking. Wow. However, I have no record of the conversation that I feel was of great homeschooling value.

When I commented to Wander that I felt that I had nothing to show for the homeschooling we've done, he looked at the kids and gave me a queer look. "How about two smart kids?" he commented. Okay, that will have to do. I won't have cute lapbooks, notebooks, timelines, etc. but I don't really need that. What's important is what's in the kids' heads and hearts, not any paperwork that I might keep.

I guess that this stream of consciousness blog entry will have to suffice for documentation of our nature finds.

No comments:

Post a Comment