Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Glitter likes math

My main reason for homeschooling Glitter this year was to avoid taking her to and picking her up from preschool. Since she was home and expected to do school like her sister, I decided to start reading lessons with her. Then she started trying to form letters, and I felt compelled to teach her the proper way to form letters. Finally, last night, as the four of us were having supper, Glitter and I got into an argument about her about doing math. The end result? She badgered me into giving her a math lesson today.



I have an array of choices for math for Glitter: RightStart A, Miquon, or Math Mammoth. If I were doing math with Glitter, I wanted something laid out for me, as I didn't want to put any effort into coming up with something myself. I like RightStart A, and planned on using it for Kindergarten, but it is too teacher intensive and the script drives me nuts, so I shelved it. I considered Miquon, but Sparkle is doing Miquon and I'm afraid that Glitter might catch up to her too quickly.

So that left me with Math Mammoth. I picked up the complete elementary program on a great discount earlier this year, thinking to use it with Sparkle later. I read on a recent forum that Math Mammoth is a poor choice for a 4 year old, especially since the pages are packed, it isn't cute, and there is lots of writing. However, all things considered (a) I don't want to do math with her anyway, (b) I like "do-the-next-page" programs, (c) she technically meets all the requirements for starting level 1, and (d) her handwriting is pretty good for her age, I decided to go with it.

I ended up having Glitter do a page of Math Mammoth today. She *loved* it. She drew all the circles herself. She wrote all the answers that were "1" and attempted the other numbers. I scribed for her when she was finally ready to give up writing them herself. At the end of the page, she looked around for more, and when I refused to give her another page, she extracted a promise that we do math again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment