Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Computer stuff I like

Okay, after all those tirades about computer software that I don't like, it's time to make a list of computer software that I like and currently use.

First, there are the obvious web sites (Yahoo, Google, Blogger, Amazon) and desktop apps (MS Word). I like Yahoo most for its email and groups. I like Google most for its search engine and photo storing. Amazon is great for its reviews, even when not buying anything.

Then there's the second tier web sites that I rely on: WorldCat, my library's web site, and math and handwriting worksheet generators and online community forums. When my local library system doesn't own a book that I want, I use WorldCat to find the book and request an inter-library loan. I have used various math and handwriting worksheet generators, but haven't settled on favorites yet.

But I am really enamored of two *free* desktop apps that most people have probably never heard of. The first is GameMaker. It's a lot of fun to write simple games and create my own executables. Then second is Anki and I really ought to use it every day. I need to write another post extolling the virtues of Anki. Suffice it to say that I view Anki as integral to my homeschool.

No comments:

Post a Comment