Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Driving Home

There's nothing quite like driving through an unfamiliar city at an insane speed, navigating a maze of lane changes with giant trucks breathing down your neck. To make matters worse, we were on day three of our road trip home, only the yucky snacks remained, and all the toys were now boring or broken. Scary traffic + cranky kids + almost two weeks away from home - another adult = one stressed out Homebody.

Two months ago, Wander and I were trying to decide whether to fly or drive to his parents' home for our summer vacation. He didn't have enough vacation days to drive himself. However, tickets for four plus a rental car were out of the budget. I came up with the brilliant and insane option of having me (the Homebody who hates driving) drive the girls and myself the 1200 miles and back, while Wander flew alone.

The trip had gone well and Wander was already back home and back to work. All that remained between me and blessed normal routines was 200 miles of freeway, including Dallas, where I have gotten lost or turned around every time I've driven in it.

In an effort to keep us all alive long enough to see home again I gripped the steering wheel tighter and barked at the kids: "Be quiet back there and keep your hands to yourself! If you want to say anything at all, you can pray!" It seemed like a good idea at the time, and it had worked earlier when driving through other cities at rush hour. Sparkle has her traditional prayers memorized and the soothing sound of her young voice praying helped calm my nerves. Glitter joined in where she could. Then Sparkle felt that she had prayed enough and I could hear Glitter continue with her usual vocal wanderings to God, as only a four year old can: "... and Dear God please help Mommy stay safe and drive good and not have an accident and if she gets in an accident and dies please take care of sissy and me ..." Um not the most comforting thing to hear.

Nevertheless, we made it safely home and rejoiced at the familiar surroundings. All three of us ran around greeting each room and piece of furniture, hugging familiar pillows and kitchen appliances. Five minutes later both girls were in dress-up building a play-castle. Ten minutes Wander came home from work and the hugs began anew.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you made it in one piece. The prayers of a child are always so special. I hope you had a great vacation.

    ReplyDelete