Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Sunday, June 27, 2010

pool time

It's hard to believe that a little over a year ago both girls were so timid in the pool that they both insisted on full flotation and would still cling to either Wander or me. I put them in swim lessons for two months last year and it really paid off. By the end of the summer the girls were happily playing in the water with Wander and I just supervising.

I was concerned that the girls would loose their familiarity with the water over the long break. I shouldn't have worried. We've been going to the pool most evenings after supper and the girls have turned back into little mermaids. Sparkle was immediately back in her element, as she can comfortably stand up in the shallow end. Glitter took a bit longer to regain her confidence in the water, but this afternoon she was actually shooing me away further before she would swim to me. Glitter has completely stopped wearing her floaties, which makes me a bit nervous, but she is pretty good at knowing her limits in the water.

The girls have minimal water survival skills, but not much technique in the water. Sparkle can jump into the water, turn around, and swim back to the wall completely unassisted. Glitter needs only a tiny bit of help getting oriented back towards the wall. Sparkle swims only as far as she can hold her breath. Glitter can come up for air, but she has trouble propelling herself through the water once she's lost the momentum from her initial push.

I'm building my swimming ability right along with the girls. I never learned to swim as a kid, beyond a rudimentary knowledge of the basic strokes. However, this evening I managed to swim the length of the pool (I usually work the width of the pool). I got tired about halfway back and had to cling to the wall.

We're also doing some biking along with swimming. Sparkle and I ride the tandem to the pool, while Wander pulls Glitter on the half-bike. I like to think that we make a happy picture with the four of us on two bikes going to and coming from the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment