Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Girly Books / Fantasy Books

I love a good girly book. My taste in books hasn't changed much since 6th grade. However, in the last few years, I've discovered and re-discovered a few authors and books that I really like, but weren't around when I was a kid.

I heard of Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine long before I ever read it. Then, one day I checked it out of the library and fell in love with this fantasy Cinderella story. Another trip to the library brought home Fairest, a Snow White story transformed and filled out in a similar way. She also wrote a few novels for Disney's Fairies series, which are more Sparkle's taste.

I first discovered Diane Stanley through her picture book biographies. Even though these books are true picture books with gorgeous illustrations, the text is geared more for readers who have typically outgrown picture books. Then I discovered Bella at Midnight, another Cinderella story with a twist.

I rediscovered E. Nesbit thanks to a copy of The Enchanted Castle at the library. Then I found that her books are now in the public domain and my Kindle now holds copies of many of her books that I'd never heard of before. Her tales are full of magic, delight, and humor. Librivox even has a few recordings of her works, making it easy to share her works with the kids and to learn how to pronounce some of the words.

I read a bit of Edward Eager when I was a kid, but not all. His references to E. Nesbit made me look him up again.

I hardly ever buy novels anymore because they take up shelf space and are so easy to get at the library. However, I might make an exception for these books if I find them cheap.

Oh, and then there's the Betsy-Tacy books that I found. But they aren't fantasy books so I guess they don't belong in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment