Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Friday, July 16, 2010

early academic skills to ward off incessant questions

I think that I taught Sparkle a few academic topics earlier than the normal scope and sequence: reading, telling time, and money. I find that having Sparkle understand these three topics has been very useful in getting her to not bug me.

Reading. Reading has been a useful skill for Sparkle ever since she started. When I'm busy she can entertain herself and her sister by reading. When she wants to know something, she can read the label instead of asking me.

Telling time. Once Sparkle got the basics of telling time, I heard the everlasting question "When?" far less often. I still have to answer the question the first time, but then she can look at the clock the next time the question comes up.

Money. Sparkle still is a bit unclear on the concept of money, but she knows enough to limit pestering me to buy stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment