Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

dance bags

Over the past two years, I've given the girls assorted cast-off bags to use as dance bags: old conference bags, small toy backpacks, freebie bags, etc. The bags have been functional, but not ascetically pleasing. When a bag ceased to work, such as when Sparkle needed to carry tap shoes as well as ballet shoes, or when Glitter started to dance, I just rooted around Wander's collection of bags until I found something serviceable.

However, I've been envying the dance bags that other girls carry into the studio. Even though I never had a purpose-built dance bag when I was a kid, I wanted the girls to have them: bags that are obviously made for dance; not just bags that happens to carry dance supplies.

When the girls started showing an interest in sewing, I decided to have the girls sew their own dance bags. I drafted a simple pattern. It had to have straight seams and be easy enough for the girls to sew. It had to have a zipper closure so nothing would fall out. It had to have a shoulder strap. It had to be big enough to hold all their supplies, including their clothes, yet small enough for Glitter to carry without dragging. It had to be durable and have finished seams. It had to be small enough to fit in the cubbies for storage during the week.

Once I had a pattern in mind, I took the girls fabric shopping, and splurged on full price fabric. I wanted the girls to have different fabrics so that it would be easy to tell which bag belonged to whom, but I could find only one "dancy" fabric. So, I altered the pattern and bought different co-ordinating fabrics.

As before, Glitter was the one most interested in sewing. Sparkle didn't get interested until she saw Glitter's finished bag. The actual sewing performed by the girls was limited to operating the foot pedal and removing pins while I guided the fabric. I did all the cutting and ironing, and most of the pinning. I also sewed the straps and Sparkle's zipper.

Here is Glitter with her bag.


Here are the two bags together.


I'm looking forward to using the bags for the first time tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Those turned out so cute! Way to go! Ellie has a garage sale dance bag and MC uses a regular monogrammed bag someone gave her as a gift...but it is fun to see all the cute bags around the studio! Cubbies...that's what our studio needs!

    ReplyDelete