Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Log Books

In an effort to create a "writing rich" environment for my kids, I got them log books. They are simple black hardback books with blank pages. Each kid colored a faceplate that I glued to the front.

I explained that just as Christopher Columbus kept a log book documenting his voyages and travels, so too they could log their outings and adventures. Glitter immediately took to the idea. Sparkle was a bit slower to warm up to the idea but got on board when she saw Glitter's enthusiasm.

I'm trying to give control over the log books to the kids. I suggest when to put entries in their logs, but don't insist. I do require that they keep their log entries accurate - no writing imaginary adventures that never happened or making up stories (they have other venues for that). I also ask them to include a combination of writing and drawing. Sparkle tends to focus on the drawing and I have to coax her to write. Glitter likes writing and I have to coax her to draw. Unfortunately Glitter's handwriting and spelling are typical for her age - indecipherable even to herself. I asked her to read her entry to me and puzzled out as much as I could and wrote the "translation" in her log.

Here are Sparkle's entries for going to dance class, and a show at the summer reading program at our library.


Here is Glitter's entry for the same library show.

Okay, I allow some leeway in accuracy. There was only one bunny and one snake. But I didn't feel like nit-picking Glitter about that minor detail.

Amusingly enough, the live animals were the only part of the show that left an impression in their minds, even though they were only a fraction of the show. Here's the girls petting the bunny. Yeah, they're lousy photos, but heck, the alternative is no photos at all.



(The previous entry about our trip to the Children's Museum has more scans of their log books.)

I hope that these log books will become treasured possessions when they grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment