Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

No pictures

I haven't been taking pictures this past month. I just haven't been grabbing the camera. As I load the car and struggle with teaching Glitter how to buckle herself, I think, I'm just going to experience whatever happens, and that will be enough, even without photos to remember it. Because, of course, if I don't have photos or blog about it, I probably will forget that it even happened.

So, today we went to the Children's Museum with some friends. The kids had fun, but, oh my, it was *packed*. I don't think I'll go again until after school starts. We're spoiled by going to places when there aren't many people around. My kids aren't used to having to wait in line and stick close by me in the crowd. They want to see their own things on their own time. But I'm being a bit harsh here. Both girls were actually really good about going at the pace of the group, taking turns, not going places that wouldn't work for the whole group, and accepting that there aren't always enough supplies to go around. I think the crowds scared them into submission.

All in all, a fun, busy day. The kids explored a kid-size city. Glitter's favorite was the grocery store. We saw some science demonstrations, including fog filled soap bubbles and a representation of a clogged artery. We found a room with some fake trees that Glitter also enjoyed. She called it "outside but not really outside." Sparkle found some books in that room to cuddle up with while the younger kids ran around and hid in a hole in a tree. We had a picnic in the back of my car with my trusty loaf of bread and jar of peanut butter. Then we went back to the museum and made ice cream cone sculptures out of paper, markers, and tape.

Plus, the girls prayed for me when driving. It is so sweet to hear them praying for me when there is bad traffic or tough driving conditions. So far their traffic related prayers have always been answered.

After we got home I gave the girls their new log books and they each put in an entry documenting the adventure. Glitter's entry filled three pages with her chicken scratch handwriting describing the different exhibits and activities. I had to beg her to read it to me so I could write a translation next to her writing so that we'll know what she wrote later on. Unfortunately, neither of us could decipher about a quarter of her writing.



Sparkle's log book is in sharp contrast to Glitter's. Sparkle has no trouble with handwriting or spelling, but all she had to say about the whole day was that we "had fun looking and playing." Sparkle devoted most of her log entry to a picture of us lined up, with special attention to getting our relative heights and hair colors right.



Oh, and here's a picture that I took the following day of the ice cream sculptures.


Oh, lookie, lookie, I found this fuzzy picture on my phone from our visit to the Children's Museum. That's Glitter in the green dress and Sparkle in the blue dress. Nope, you can't really tell it's them, but it was too crowded to get a posed shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment