Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Thursday, August 11, 2011

language arts for Glitter

I really enjoy homeschooling, and my two favorite subjects are math and English. I joke that all I teach is math and English. So far Sparkle has been my only official student, as Glitter won't start kindergarten until later this month.

However, I have been doing some work with Glitter to give her some individual attention and to ease me into teaching two kids. And somehow I ended up doing
doing three different language arts programs with Glitter.

The first language arts program was a variation on Spell to Write and Read. This program worked well for Sparkle, and the beginning is just letter formation and memorizing the phonograms. Once Glitter entered review mode with those skills, it was natural to start the spelling lists. Plus I got tired of seeing her chicken scratch, misspelled writing everywhere. (This child likes to write.) I adapted the program to really slow it down and provide lots of review, and it's been going well.

The second language arts program was a variation of Writing With Ease. I was reading to Sparkle and helping her with a written narration. It was only natural to have Glitter listen in. It also made sense to have her say one thing she remembered, and then use that sentence for copywork. It was a simple way to keep her engaged and part of the family. Plus, she likes to write and imitate her big sister.

The third language arts program happened by chance. It's Brave Writer's "The Wand." Glitter fell in love with it when she heard the name and found out that it is by the same company that produces her sister's program "The Arrow." It uses Post-it notes and funny books. Glitter has begged for it and it's the first thing she wants to do in the morning. What's not to like?

And that's not counting the reading practice that Glitter does.

Eek. I need to cut something.

No comments:

Post a Comment