Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

New Spelling Database Program

I've got my spelling database program into a semi-usable state. It is written in python and has a command line interface, which is mostly a system of menus. It is very kludgy and I have to make sure that my input is formatted correctly. However, it looks like it is doing the job. I've used it for three days so far, and it is far superior to manually scheduling reviews of words.

I love the functionality of the program, but it seriously needs a robust gui interface. I separated out the data into a standalone database so that I can easily work on the program without affecting the data. It will take me a long, long time to build up a gui. In the meantime we can continue spelling lessons, and I'll take down the blog I was using for tracking spelling.

Least I be demonized for doing spelling lessons, with Sparkle during the summer, I've really scaled back the spelling. We're just reviewing words (no new words), and she does only a couple of sentences at a time, far less than she was during the school year. Hopefully we'll work through all the backlog of reviews of the words from last year and then start fresh in the fall.

1 comment:

  1. Your are such a demon. He he just kidding. We are starting an intense reading and phonics program for the entire month of July.

    ReplyDelete