Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Thursday, July 30, 2009

religion

Last year I put off doing any religion in my homeschool. I figured that Sparkle was attending CCE classes at church, and that was enough for kindergarten and our first year homeschooling. This year I've felt pressured to do something for religion, even though Sparkle will be attending CCE again.

In my usual style of overdoing things, I somehow managed to acquire more books than I'll use. Over the past year I collected story bibles at several different reading levels, and textbooks from two different publishers. I kept putting off doing anything with them because I wasn't sure what to do, as I'm not comfortable teaching religion.

Then earlier this week, I decided to just start reading the kindergarten religion book to Sparkle. When Sparkle asked about the title of the book, I enjoyed pointing out that even though she wasn't in kindergarten anymore, it was okay for her to use a kindergarten textbook. (I don't want her to get hung up about grade levels.) Then we just read, cuddled up on the sofa. Sometimes I'd read a question and Sparkle would read the answer. We looked at the pictures, and Sparkle commented that the angel's wings looked like fish. The whole experience was far less stressful than I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment