Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Friday, December 4, 2009

They Do Exist!

When I was a child, the best ice cream in the world was Marble Slab ice cream. I only had it once as a child while visiting a far-away town. Then I got older and moved where no-one had ever heard of Marble Slab. I started to think that Marble Slab was just a figment of my imagination. Then I got a little bit older and moved again, and walking through the mall I saw a Marble Slab! It does exist and is, as far as I'm concerned, the best ice cream in the world. It has childhood memories behind it, which no combination of ingredients can match.

Another childhood memory that no-one seemed to know about was the "I See Sam" readers. I have a distinct memory of a little box of these tiny staple-bound books of my very own. I was so possessive of these books because I could read them myself. I must have been about five years old or younger. As I grew up, none of my friends had ever heard of them and as I looked into resources for teaching my children to read, I couldn't find them. Once again I wondered if I was imagining things.

I ended up using a different method to teach Sparkle to read. Then I found a web site selling the "I See Sam" books at cost prohibitive prices. Then a bit more searching turned up some free versions that appear to be in the public domains, and thus free to print and use.

Nuview Elementary School's web site has nicely formatted .pdf files ready to print of 16 books. Click "Sam Books" in the menu on the left.

Mrs. Sakamoto's teacherweb page has 52 books that look like scanned copies of physical books.

For more info on the "I See Sam" books see www.3rsplus.com or iseesam.com.

I'm off to print some books for Glitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment