Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Monday, March 22, 2010

I'm thinking of ... game

We tried a new car game. It starts, "I'm thinking of ..." I don't remember if I got this game from a book or from the internet.

My earlier version of this games was "I'm thinking of a number that ..." followed by some way of figuring out the number. Glitter got easy questions, like "I'm thinking of a number shown with all the fingers on one hand." Sparkle got more difficult ones, like, "I'm thinking of a number that represents all the fingers, toes, and noses in the car."

We branched out into more general stuff in the car today. Even Glitter got into the spirit and was able to keep up with her sister. She got ones such as, "I'm thinking of a creature that has wings, but isn't a bird." They kept guessing different types of birds, so I added clues. Eventually, I got to "I'm thinking of a creature that has wings but isn't a bird. It is small and colorful." Glitter also got, "I'm thinking of a place with lots of books that aren't for sale." Sparkle came up with some outlandish ideas , and it took the girls a long time to get this one considering where we were driving.

Another fun one was, "I'm thinking of a place, in Texas, where we've all seen an eagle fly in real life." Sparkle had some strange answers, including New Mexico, Dallas. Then Glitter kept repeating Sparkle's crazy answers. They didn't get that one until I added, "And where we've eaten a turkey leg." The girls didn't figure out the last puzzle until we were in the parking lot. "I'm thinking of plastic blocks with circle knobs on top. They come in different colors, like red, yellow, green, and blue. They connect using the knobs on top. We have some at home and they are fun to play with."

Sparkle wanted to get in on the game, and came up with some fun ones. One of her favorites was "I'm thinking of a bird that has wings but doesn't fly." She also came up with "I'm thinking of a place that has dragons that can move."

Glitter tried to come up with questions too. Her questions could be confusing, but were usually easy to guess because they were typically the same answer as a previous question.

So, I'm slowly gathering a repertoire of favorite car games.
- I'm thinking of ... (a number or a thing)
- Phonemic awareness songs (Diddle Diddle, Name Game, Apples and Bananas)
- Observation Game
- I spy

I need to start writing down these games so that I'll remember them for future road trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment