Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Earthquakes and Math Manipulatives

This morning I found a new use for my math manipulatives.

I got to explain the Richter scale by dropping Bask 10 blocks and DecimalMods on the kids.

3 on the Richter Scale = DecimalMod Tile
I explain that a 3 on the Richter Scale is the smallest level that people normally feel. I drop the DecimalMod tile on Sparkle's back and she barely feels it.

4 on the Richter Scale = Base 10 Unit Cube
I drop the tiny cube on Sparkle and she giggles.

5 on the Richter Scale = Base 10 Rod
I drop the rod on Sparkle and she says, "ouch" with a laugh.

6 on the Richter Scale = Base 10 Flat
Sparkle crouches down and I remind her to cover her neck with her hands. I drop the flat on her back and she says, "OWWW."

7 on the Richter Scale = Base 10 (Large) Cube
Sparkle's eyes bug out, even though I promise that I won't drop it on her.

8 on the Richter Scale = Imaginary Giant Rod
Sparkle imagines a rod of ten large cubes.

9 on the Richter Scale = Imaginary Giant Flat
I show Sparkle the large cube and a flat. I explain that a 9 would be a flat if each of the tiny cubes in a flat were the size of the large cube. Compared to the DecimalMod tile, this imaginary giant flat is the relative scale of the earthquake in Japan.

2 comments:

  1. I explain with pictures and the news stories, you use math. Whay am I not surprised? Prayers for all those is Japan and around the world. I love how creative you are. Miss seeing you also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! The girls have seen the pictures on the news and we looked up Sendai on the map. This was just a bonus to explain why a 9 earthquake is so much worse than an 8. I'm amazed at how even a complex math concept like logarithms can be explained to a young child with manipulatives.

    We have all been sending prayers to all those affected by the disaster.

    ReplyDelete