Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sewing, sewing, sewing

Sewing, sewing, sewing 6+ yards of slippery, white fabric. That's what my spring break has been like.

I'm working on a first communion dress for Sparkle. Sparkle originally wanted a store-bought dress, but then she found out that the only way she could get an affordable ankle-length dress was for me to make it.

This dress is probably the most difficult sewing project that I have ever taken on. I usually work with cotton fabric with is easy to cut, sticks in place with few pins, and frays only a little. This slippery fabric requires tons of pins, when cutting and when sewing, because it shifts so much. The raw edges fray constantly, requiring stay stitching and basting, which I seldom do. The dress is also fully lined, which is practically equivalent to making two dresses.



I'm afraid that the girls won't have as pleasant memories of making this dress as I would like. I'm constantly telling them to not touch anything -- the fabric, the pins, the scissors, etc. Although I insisted on washable fabric, white does not take kindly to hands that were recently making mud pies.

On the other hand, the girls have been collecting all of the scraps and oohing and aaahing over them. Sparkle's face shines whenever I call her over to try on a piece. Glitter likes to put pins in the scraps and she has even commented that she wants me to save the dress so that she can wear too when it's time for her first communion. Poor girl. She doesn't know that she'll be way too short for this dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment