Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dentist visit

Today was my dentist appointment. I scheduled it so that Glitter was in preschool at the time, but I had to take Sparkle with me.

Sparkle was very well behaved at the dentist and the people at the office were very friendly to her. The receptionist asked her how old she was, and after hearing the answer, the receptionist asked me if I homeschooled. I guess that I need to get used to the question. Before when we were out and about she was younger and I didn't get the questions. However, this was twice in one week. (Earlier it was at the library.)

I don't like going to the dentist, but I had to set a good example for Sparkle. Sparkle had brought a book to read while waiting, but was more interested in watching what was happening to my teeth. I prompted her to ask any questions she had, and she asked the hygienist about the mirror. I would have never guess that was what she found so fascinating. I was glad she asked when the hygienist explained the varied ways that she uses the mirror. Not only does she use it to look in the far corners of the mouth, she also uses it to reflect light, guide the tongue, and hold back the cheek. It is a multi-purpose tool. (It reminded me of when I took an applique class and learned that a sewing needle is a multi-purpose tool that can be used for much more than just dragging thread through fabric.)

So, I'm counting this as "science / health" for our homeschool for the day.

Anyway, no cavities today. They tried to get me to have sealants put on my teeth, but didn't try very hard. I think that it's just standard procedure for them to recommend it. But insurance wouldn't cover it and when I asked for more information it sounded like there was no impending reason to have it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment