Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Monday, April 13, 2009

April Readaloud

Previously I tried listing our readalouds in two long posts that I periodically updated: one for lunchtime listening and another for the bedtime book. I decided that updating a single post wasn't working. So, I'm trying something new. I'm going to try a monthly post with our lunchtime listening and bedtime book.

Lunchtime Listening: The Blue Fairy Book
We finished "The Blue Fairy Book". For more info, see the previous lunchtime listening post.

Lunchtime Listening: A Little Princess (In Progress, chapter 5?)
This book is from Librivox. The book is by Frances Hodgson Burnett, the same author who wrote "The Secret Garden" which we listened to earlier (although Sparkle no longer remembers hearing it). Part of the reason I chose this book was because it is also read by Kara Shallenberg. It's relaxing to return to her voice after some of the more jarring readers in The Blue Fairy Book. Another reason that I'm reworking how I blog about our readalouds is because I'm trying out listening to the story directly on the computer, instead of first downloading it onto the iPod.
Update: listening to the story directly on the computer isn't working out. I'm downloading the story to the iPod.

Bedtime Book: Elmer and the Dragon
We are continuing "Elmer and the Dragon". For more info, see the previous bedtime book post. The chapters have been just the right length. The story isn't quite as whimsical and captivating as "My Father's Dragon." Glitter has gotten really good at listening quietly and is actually starting to pay attention.

Bedtime Book: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (In Progress)
I wasn't sure what bedtime book I'd do next. My original plan was to go on to "The Dragons of Blueland," but Sparkle said that she wanted to read it herself. I was leaning towards "The Wizard of Oz" or "A Bear Called Paddington." Oz won out because Sparkle wanted to know what a Munchkin was. I happened across a nice oversized paperback version of the book that has large type (because Sparkle likes to follow along) and pictures on every page (for Glitter). The book is quite different from the movie with Judy Garland. This is one of the few cases where I like the movie despite the massive changes from the book. (I'm also enjoying the book.)

No comments:

Post a Comment