Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Monday, September 28, 2009

corners game

The math program that I use with Sparkle really promotes playing "math games" to practice doing math. Up to now I've skipped the math games in favor of easier to administer worksheets. Until now I've found the math games boring and Sparkle is unable to play them independently.

Then, we got to the point in RightStart B where we do the Corners game. It's a game with special cards with a different number from 1-10 on each side. You match sides to form sums that are multiples of five (5, 10, 15, or 20). The resulting sum is the number of points you score. It took me a while to figure out the game, and then to teach it to Sparkle. However, we're both thrilled with the game, and I even find time to squeeze it when I'm striking other activities from my list because it's almost suppertime.

Here's some features that I really like about the game.
- It's simple enough for a young child who understands single digit addition to play.
- It provides good addition practice.
- The cards are all played face up, so it's easier to play cards that will either help or hinder your opponent, depending on how capable he or she is.
- Even when it's not your turn, you can examine the formation of cards for possible plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment