Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Science classes at the museum

Sparkle is in first grade this year. That makes her old enough to take science classes at the museum. Our homeschool group joins up with another homeschool group to make these monthly science classes very affordable, and fun. (I'm totally surprise that the group still has lots of openings for more students for these classes. The trip filled the day, and the experience was so worth it.)

Today was our first class. My first challenge was waking up early, because the second challenge was driving downtown to get to the museum. I gave the kids bagels with cream cheese in the car for breakfast. Then I zoomed down the HOV lane. Wow, the HOV lane totally rocks. There were hardly any cars on the HOV lane compared to the main lanes, and I didn't have to worry about changing lanes or passing. Then the HOV lane dumped us downtown, and I got briefly lost, because it is extremely difficult to read a map while simultaneously driving down strange one-way streets that are filled with pedestrian college students. However, we got back on the proper road, and made it to the museum with twenty minutes to spare.

Shortly after we arrived, I met the coordinator who was super friendly and helpful. Then the rest of the families started pouring in. I was really glad to see a few familiar faces among the other moms. Being new to the whole experience, I attached myself to them, and let them guide me around what to do and where and when to meet up. Sparkle got in line for her class, and I watched her bravely march off.


Sparkle had two classes: one about the weather, and another about the Chinese Terra Cotta soldiers. She was pretty excited about the subjects and chaperones told me that she did fine. (I suspect that she was one of the younger students in her class of first through third graders.) There was a brief break between the two classes, and at first she was anxious when she didn't immediately see me with the other moms, but then she returned to examining the exhibit, barely looking up to say hi to me.

During Sparkle's classes Glitter and I hung out in the main exhibit halls with other moms with preschoolers. We got to see a chemistry demo, and Glitter got to pretend to be a chemist and stir stuff. I was surprised at how quickly and pleasantly the time passed.


After the second class, the families gathered outside for a picnic lunch. The kids ate and then ran around enjoying the beautiful weather.


After lunch, the group got to see the Terra Cotta warriors exhibit. Sparkle's eyes popped to see the actual terra cotta warriors all the way from China, not just imitations. She started explaining different things that she had just learned in class: the size of the tiles on the armor indicated the importance of the soldier, and the height of the bun of hair also meant something. Oh, and the first emperor became emperor when he was only thirteen years old.




Halfway through the exhibit, there was a small table with a volunteer and some small Chinese items that the kids were allowed to touch. That was big for Glitter. She was tired didn't like being led through the halls and having her big sister scold her whenever she touched the glass cases. Both girls stopped at the booth and chatted with the docent for a while. They had a silkworm cocoon, chopsticks, a small model of a terra cotta soldier, various coins, fans, and some powders used to paint pictures.

We weren't allowed to take any pictures inside the exhibit. (One of the guards got very firm with a group of teenagers who were texting next to us .) However, there were no prohibitions against drawing. I didn't have the girls' clipboard or colors with me, as I didn't want to lug the nature bag with me through the museum. However, I did have my personal clipboard with me in my purse. I gave Sparkle the clipboard and a pencil. I took out one piece of paper and dug out something flat from my purse for Glitter to draw on. Sparkle promptly fell to drawing the horse and warrior in front of us. Glitter just drew. It was a pleasant interlude, and I notice another older girl from the homeschool group also occupied with a clipboard and observing the horse.

The exhibit was much smaller than I expected, and I felt that I hardly got to see anything or read anything. However, Glitter was near meltdown stage, and dance class for the afternoon was looming.

We left the exhibit and made our way slowly back to the car. Sparkle hadn't gotten to see any of the main exhibits during her classes, and she wanted to browse a bit. Then you have to go through the gift shop to get to the parking garage, and Sparkle was attracted to some giant bugs in display cases for sale. Sparkle barged in front of a gentleman observing the same bugs, and when I had her apologize, we had a pleasant conversation with him. Turns out he has a granddaughter the same age as Sparkle who also likes bugs.

Finally we were in the car on our way back to the freeway. This time I was able to navigate the streets (I only thought I got lost, but didn't really), and we were back on the HOV lane, this time headed outbound. Did I mention that the HOV lane rocks? The HOV lane totally rocks. There was a huge accident on the main lanes that had all traffic diverted completely off the freeway. We flew by, and were back on our side of town with over half an hour to spare. Both girls fell asleep in the car, so I drove straight to the dance studio, even though we were early for dance class.

Right now Wander is outside taking the girls for a walk. I'm exhausted and the only reason I'm typing this now is because I'm afraid that I'll forget if I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment