Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Glitter likes teatime

Tuesday means teatime during our school year. After picking up Glitter from preschool and running to the store, we were ready for teatime. Both girl adore teatime, and they like the poetry as much as the yummy snacks.

Today Glitter barely touched her slice of marble loaf and ended up throwing out most of it when teatime was over. Instead Glitter kept wanting to recite "her" poem after every poem that Sparkle or I read. The poor girl wanted to be able to read poems from a book, like Sparkle and I do, but her decoding skills have a long ways to go first. Instead, she has to rely on the two poems she has memorized, and she can't keep the lines straight in either one.

Glitter learned one poem from listening to Sparkle recite it over and over when I wanted Sparkle to memorize it. Glitter can get through most of the first stanza before.

"As I was going out one day
My head fell off and rolled away.
And when I saw that it was gone,
I picked it up and put it on.

And when I got into the street,
A fellow cried, 'Look at your feet!'
I looked at them and sadly said,
'I've left them both asleep in bed.' "

The second poem that Glitter knows is much shorter - I picked it out for her. She has trouble remembering the second line, but usually remembers that the poem says something about being happy and kings.

"The world is so full of a number of things,
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings."

Still, at three years old, Glitter is cute when she makes mistakes and I'm glad that she enjoys teatime.

No comments:

Post a Comment