Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Making mistakes to learn

When we're doing school, I tell Sparkle that you have to make mistakes to learn. If you don't make any mistakes, that means that the material is too easy for you and you aren't learning anything.

However, I don't really believe that idea myself. I don't think that mistakes are *required* in learning. I think that with careful guidance it is possible to learn many things without making mistakes. For example, it is possible to learn how to ride a bicycle without ever falling over. But if you allow mistakes, teaching is easier and learning is faster. Thus, I support making mistakes when learning.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is most important to point out that we can learn from our mistakes. Those mistakes are not to be wasted as time lost.

    ReplyDelete