Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Saturday, May 22, 2010

school's out

I decided to end the school year about a month ago because I was feeling worn out with schooling. However, April seemed dreadfully early to end the school year, and I plan to school lightly during the summer, so I didn't tell the kids. I just lightened up our schedule and skipped school on lots of days. Then May rolled around, and I felt brave enough to tell Wander that my "school year" was done. I still didn't tell the kids and the change in our daily routine has been so gradual that they don't see a clear distinction. They just get a lot more play time.

Back in September, Glitter had an official "first day of school" at her preschool, and I officially started Sparkle on the same day for simplicity. Next week Glitter will have an official "last day of school" at her preschool. I'll probably tell Sparkle that it's also her official last day of First Grade, even though in my mind, we've been done with the school year for a while. The beginning and end of the school year is totally arbitrary anyway, because we start and stop textbooks whenever Sparkle is ready for them and whenever she gets done, regardless of the time of year.

Since Glitter will be homeschooled for pre-K in the fall, we probably won't even have an official start date in the fall. Thank goodness the homeschooling laws in my state allow me this flexibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment