Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Which tool is better (math/grammar)

On one of the homeschooling forums where I hang out there was discussion of which math manipulative is better: the AL abacus or Cuisinaire rods. The AL abacus is used by RightStart math. Cuisinaire rods are used by Miquon math. Both manipulatives can stand on their own, but they do have different strengths. The abacus is great for showing place value, large numbers, and visualizing quantities. C-rods are great for conserving original values when doing arithmetic and showing relationships. If I had to choose a single manipulative, I prefer the AL abacus. Fortunately I don't have to choose and I can have both.

That same homeschooling forum had a discussion of which grammar tool is better: sentence diagramming, or MCT style 4-level analysis. I find myself in the same thought patterns that I had over the math manipulatives. Both grammar tools can stand on their own, but they do have different strengths. Sentence diagramming is great for showing how the different parts of the sentence relate to each other, especially with compounding and modifiers. MCT analysis is great for looking at a sentence on different levels. Overall, I prefer MCT analysis, but it is very weak when it comes to showing what modifiers modify and what conjunctions join. Unfortunately, unlike with math, I feel that I need to choose between tools. So, I chose MCT analysis and I'm looking for ways to add in the info about modifiers and conjunctions.

Thank goodness that this blog is primarily for just myself. The above paragraphs would probably be mostly confusing drivel for anyone else, but blogging gives me a way to mull over my thoughts and record them without having to be coherent.

No comments:

Post a Comment