Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Glitter's numbers

Glitter is going to be my numbers girl.

In Glitter's reading lesson, she had to read a few columns of words. I used the notched card to guide her on which card to read. As I moved the notched card to the top of the third column, she said, "to." I almost corrected her, because that most definitely wasn't the first word in the column, but held my tongue and she read the actual word. Then we got to the top of the next column, and she said, "three." Turns out that "to" was really "two." She was counting the number of columns that she had read. (This wasn't the first time either; it just caught me off-guard this time.)

After Glitter's reading lesson, she gets to pick any book for me to read to her. She tends to go through phases where she picks the same book day after day after day. One of her favorite books that she keeps returning to "Arthur Counts," a simple lift-the-flap counting book with numbers from 1 to 10.

Glitter likes to quiz Sparkle on adding identical numbers. A recurring car conversation goes something like this:
Glitter: What's 1 plus 1?
Sparkle: 2
Glitter: What's 2 plus 2?
Sparkle: 4
Glitter: What's 4 plus 4?
Sparkle: 8
Glitter: What's 8 plus 8?
Sparkle: 16
Glitter: What's 16 plus 16?
Sparkle (after some thought): 32
Glitter: What's 32 plus 32?
Sparkle: 64
Glitter: What's 64 plus 64?
Sparkle (after a long pause and some furious thinking): 128, right Mom?
Glitter: What's 128 plus 128?
Sparkle: that's enough already

I'm not ready to teach this girl math yet. I'm a little scared at the prospect.

No comments:

Post a Comment