Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Friday, February 13, 2009

Lunchtime Listening List

This post is to record our lunchtime listening. In general, I play one chapter at lunchtime during the week. Some days we do lunch away from home, or it has to be a really quick lunch, so we hear about 4-5 chapters per week.

I plan to update this post periodically as we finish a book. The most recent book is at the top of the list.

The Blue Fairy Book
by Andrew Lang
I got this from Librivox, and it has multiple readers. Again, some readers do a wonderful job and others are torturous to listen to. Since each chapter is a different story, it wasn't quite as jarring to hear a new voice each day.
Each story is a different chapter. Some stories are short and others are quite long, so I never know how long our lunchtime listening will be. I have to stop longer stories in the middle and pick them up again the next day. Different chapters are read by different people, and as before, quality is just not there for some of the chapters.
Some of the stories are quite gory - these are not like the Disney fairy tales. After Sleeping Beauty awakens, her mother-in-law tries to eat her and her children. Little Red Riding Hood has no huntsman to cut her and her grandmother out of the belly of the wolf. Bluebeard keeps a room full of dead bodies.

Peter Pan
by J. M. Barrie
I got this from Librivox, and it has multiple readers.
The quality is just not there for some of the readers. On chapter was read at such a fast pace that it was hard to follow. Another reader had a monotonous voice that droned on so that it was hard to pay attention.
As for the story, it is a wonderfully fanciful story, and so much richer than the Disney version.

Jack and Jill
by Louisa May Alcott
I got this from Librivox. It is beautifully read by Kara Shallenberg.
Louisa May Alcott is one of my favorite authors, and this is one of her lesser know books. I loved the goodness of all the children and how they strove to improve themselves. The girl who is always in disarray strives to be tidy. The girl who is already tidy strives to make things beautiful. The girl who has a knack for beauty strives to be worthy of the friends who give her wonderful things by being sweet.

The Secret Garden
by Frances Hodgson Burnett
I got this from Librivox. It is beautifully read by Kara Shallenberg.
This is a sweet story that I enjoyed as a child. It was amusing to hear Sparkle try to talk in "broad Yorkshire" after listening to this recording. It also prompted me to look for a skipping rope for Sparkle.

Little House on the Prairie
by Laura Ingalls Wilder
I borrowed this audio book from the library. It was read by Cherry Jones.
These CDs were in better condition than the Winnie The Pooh ones.
We listened to these while I was still experimenting with audio books. I dug out an old CD player and played the story in the living room while the girls played. I was thinking of getting the other books in the series, but somehow never got around to it.

Winnie The Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner
by A.A. Milne
I borrowed these audio books from the library. I think they were read by Jim Broadbent, but I'm not sure. Unfortunately, the CDs were badly scratched and we had to skip huge sections of chapters.
We listened to these stories before I started lunchtime listening. Instead, I played them in the car. Sparkle and Glitter both enjoyed them. They would ask me to the story when we got in the car.

********************
My previous posting about our readalouds is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment