Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Glitter sits

This morning Glitter and I ended up going to church by ourselves. Since it was just the two of us, a we entered the building I told Glitter that she could pick where we sit. She took my hand and confidently led me all the way down the aisle to the very first pew. Eek. Normally we sit further back in case we need to quietly slip out to go potty or in case the kids act up. This was a pew with no escape route. I carefully exclaimed to Glitter that if she wanted to sit here, she would have to be on her best behavior, no squirming, no talking, etc. She agreed and we settled down. One benefit of sitting in the front was the Glitter was able to see everything that was going on. To my relief, by the time Glitter started to get squirmy, it was time for the collection. Glitter was thrilled that she got to hold the basket and was content for a while. Then during communion, she was fascinated by the seemingly endless parade of people.

After mass, there was a blood drive. Normally either Wander or I would give blood while the other parent watches the kids. I wanted to use Glitter as an excuse to not donate blood, but I inexplicably found myself walking over to the blood drive. There was a long line of people who had come over right after mass, and I was at the end of line. I asked myself what Glitter would do while I donated blood, and the only thing I could come up with was that she could sit next to me. What was the chance of that? Yet, Glitter sat patiently as I chatted with her during the wait to be screened. Then when I was screened, she had to wait quietly on the other side of the partition. Although she sat most of the time where she couldn't see me, she did peer around the corner to watch the finger stick for the iron test. She asked if it hurt. I told her it hurt a little bit. Then she asked if I needed a bandaid. I nodded and pointed to the bandaid ready and waiting on the table. Then there was the wait for an open table. I wanted to get one of the tables on the sides so that Glitter could sit next to her.

Then there was the long wait for the actual donation. That's when I played my ace in the hole. I told Glitter that she could ask the helpers for a bag of cookies and eat it next to me. She very prettily went up to one of the volunteers and asked for and received the desired bag of cookies. She came prancing back and exclaiming how she had said, "thank you." After eating all but one of the cookies, she announced that she was saving the last cookie for sister.



Finally I was done bleeding, and ready to get my own bag of cookies. We went home Glitter handed the last cookie to a very pleased sister.

The whole process was three and half hours. A long time for a three year old to be still and quiet without any toys. I was amazed and pleased with Glitter's behavior. I don't think that she could have done it if her sister were with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment