Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Kayaking

Wander took the girls kayaking on a local lake this morning. It was Glitter's first time on the kayak. The last time we tried getting her into the kayak she was much younger, hadn't had swimming lessons, hated the life-vest, and refused to get in. This time she loved it.

Sparkle sat in the back of the kayak, and Glitter sat in between Wander's legs. I stood on shore and took pictures. While they paddled around the lake, I sat on shore and made a feeble attempt at drawing an entry for my nature journal.



The sky was overcast and the water had smooth ripples. A dog wandered around nearby. There was a lone white duck off in the distance and a flock of ducks hunting for food on the other side. A few boats appeared in the distance and crossed paths with our kayak. A family with an aluminum canoe put in closed to where I waited. A young family with twin toddlers walked by and I could hear them chattering in what I think was Chinese. I think he said something about me drawing because I heard "hua huar" which, I think, means "drawing picture." I smiled up at them and said "Ni hao."


After a while Wander brought the kayak back and the girls drew while he loaded up the kayak and gear. Water had seeped into the kayak and the shorts of both girls were wet. Sparkle kept giggling as she drew and wouldn't let me see until she was done. Turns out that she drew a picture of her wet shorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment