Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Monday, August 17, 2009

Magic Books

At the library today I told Sparkle to get enough books to last for two weeks, as we won't be going to the library next week because Wander will be having surgery to remove a cancerous spot from his skin.

In response, she picked out five Magic Tree House Books, four Magic School Bus books, a biography, a science book, and three other random books. Sometimes I don't think that she really examines the books at all. She just grabs books in the series that she likes. Once she even grabbed two copies of the exact same book; I made her put one back. Another time she gathered every single book in a series that she could find, leaving a huge bare spot on the shelf. The biography an and the science book are a new thing that I'm doing. I don't require her to read any of the books, but I figured that if I require her to check out at least two non-fiction books, that ups the chances of her reading them and learning something. Sparkle also got to check out her first book that she placed on hold. She was thrilled to find the big envelope with her name on it in the area for picking up holds!

Glitter dutifully picked out her two board books. I'm looking forward to when she is responsible enough to check out more books. We couldn't find her two books from last week before going to the library. After we got home, I hunted for them and found them buried in a rarely used magazine rack across the room from the box for library books.

No comments:

Post a Comment