Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Teaching Glitter

I've started giving Glitter work to do when I do school with Sparkle. In the morning as soon as Glitter sees me pulling out Sparkle's school books, Glitter starts begging to do her "tracers." I'm having her go through the Kumon tracing book that Sparkle finished last year. She whips through 2-3 pages every morning, front and back. I started her out with the china marker, but it was a pain to erase, so I have her us a permanent marker and I watch her like a hawk to make sure that she doesn't make any stray marks on the table or clothes.



Last year when I gave Glitter these pages, I let her scribble all over the pages in crayon. Now, I'm having her do them properly and draw lines inside the guidelines. I love how she can do the same page over and over again. I am focusing mostly on her having a proper grip on the marker. She's also learning to follow directions and to do work carefully.

After the tracers, Glitter can go play quietly by herself while I continue to work with Sparkle, or she ask me for another assignment. If she ask me for something to do, I give her chunky puzzles, Lego blocks to form in a pattern, tell her to jump on the trampoline, or some other similar activity. I'm looking to build a set of activities that Glitter can do independently with minimal setup or cleanup.

No comments:

Post a Comment