Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Map of Texas

This morning Sparkle had a piece of paper and was drawing as usual. She doesn't like me to see her drawings until she's ready, so I had to pointedly look away when walking by. However, a bit later, she was waving the scrap of paper in my face. Instead of another portrait of the family or a picture from a storybook, I immediately recognized the shape of Texas. Sparkle had drawn a map, including Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. She even labeled the states with their abbreviations and colored them in different colors.

Sparkle then spent the next several minutes running back and forth between the living room, where she was coloring, and the sitting room, where the map hangs, filling in additional states. I offered her a clipboard so that she could draw in front of the map, but she explained that she liked the exercise from running back and forth. Okay.


I have no idea where she got the idea of drawing a map, or why she chose to do it. I'm just pleased that she spend her time doing something enjoyable and educational.

No comments:

Post a Comment