Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Sunday, August 2, 2009

playtime clutter

Somehow whenever the girls play it seems like all their toys end up on the floor.



So, last Friday I decided to clear out a bunch of their toys. Most of their toys have specific homes, like the box of dress-up shoes, the cabinet for stuffed animals, the drawers of Lego, the bookcase of books, etc. However, most toys are just tossed into a set of bins. And as often as not, the toys end up lost behind and under the bins. I thought about how a friend once told me how he went through his house with the goal of clearing out 40% of his stuff. So, I had the girls pull out all the toys from in and around the bins.


I had them through out all the garbage (scraps of torn paper, unrecognizable bits of broken toys, etc.) Then everything that had a home elsewhere was put in its proper place. Then I told the girls that they could keep half of what was left. Each child was to pick out two toys: one to keep, and one to go. If one of them wanted to keep a specific toy, she had to find a corresponding toy to get rid of before her sister decided that to offer it up in exchange for something else. The girls obliged with surprising willingness. I think that they were actually happy to get rid of the clutter. I thought some of their choices were a bit strange, but I left the decisions regarding what to get rid up completely up to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment