Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Sunday, April 18, 2010

homeschooling recharged

Wander gave me a wonderful gift yesterday. He gave me the gift of the entire day. I got to spend the entire day with other homeschooling moms at a small homeschooling conference just for Catholics. I got up early and stayed out late. However, unlike the previous Thursday when being away from home all day wore me out; I had no kids and the day was energizing.

I went to the conference feeling pretty good about my homeschool, without a specific agenda other than spending time with like-minded people and picking up a few books. I ended up buying some great books. However, the best resources I discovered were not sitting on the shelves of the vendor's booths. Rather, the wonderful discoveries came from other moms.

The events of the day were rather bland so I won't go into detail.

I am very excited about homeschooling the coming year. I feel like the conference helped me tie together the loose ends regarding which books I wanted to use.

English: MCT LA, Spelling Plus Dictation, McCall-Crabbs
Math: Miquon, Rightstart, word problems
Literature: picture books
History: First Timeline, Children's History of the World
Science: Nature Walks, Building Foundations of Scientific Foundations
Religion: Faith & Life

The above list is just the books I plan on using. It leaves out many of the activities that I consider part of our homeschooling (Anki, morning meeting, library, teatime, etc.).

1 comment:

  1. It was a great day. Thank you so much for helping me to see to much that I would never see. You have a different approach and I learn so much from you. I learn by talking it out, so thank you for being so good at keeping the conversations going. I love your post and along with thanking my husband I should thank yours as well.

    ReplyDelete