Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

recital

Sparkle's recital was this past weekend. She was thrilled to get to wear a fancy costume, go on a real stage, and wear *make up*. She admitted to me that even though she wasn't always eager to go to rehearsals, it was all worth it.

Wander, Glitter, and I watched the matinee performance. While waiting for the show to start, Glitter surprised me. I flipped through the pages of the program to find Sparkle's name, then handed the page to Glitter so that she could see. Glitter knows exactly two sight words: her name and her sister's name. Out of the mass of names and text on the program, Glitter was able to find her sister's name instantly.

This year's performance was more recital-ish than last year's ballet. The distinctions among the different age groups were more pronounced. It was neat seeing how the girls became more graceful and coordinated as they got older.

The best part of the day for Sparkle was when I got her at intermission and she saw Daddy waiting in the hallway for her with a big bouquet of pink roses. (I insist that she gets flowers and the video; I'm still bitter that I got neither when I was a kid.)




Glitter was enchanted by the performance. Each time the lights came on, she wanted to know if there would be more dancing. When I said yes, she'd settle back into her seat to wait until the theatre got dark again. In two more years it will be Glitter's turn.

In the meantime, the costume has become dress-up and has been worn every day since, often making its appearance before I get up.

No comments:

Post a Comment