Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Monday, April 19, 2010

New Game

The girls and I came up with a new time-filler game during our nature walk today. I call it "bigger, smaller, next to, near." One of us picks a starting object. Then we decided if we want to find things that are bigger than it, smaller than it, or next to/near the object. Bigger things should include the previous object. Smaller things should be a part of the previous object.

So, one round of the game, focusing on "bigger" went like something like this:
1) that big rock over there
2) the cluster of rocks
3) the cluster of rocks and grass in the middle of the path
4) the whole path
5) the park
6) the neighborhood
7) the town
8) the state
9) the country
10) the continent
11) the hemisphere
12) the Earth
13) the solar system

Another round focusing on "next to" went something like this:
1) the rock
2) the path
3) yellow flowers
4) a tree
5) a rectangular sign

Sparkle caught on to the game pretty quickly, but sometimes had trouble describing what she was thinking of. Glitter had fun too, but would simply shout "I KNOW! I KNOW! I KNOW" and then say something totally unconnected like "air" or "the whole world."

I hope that we play this game again on our nature walks. Unfortunately, I don't think that it will work as a car game.

No comments:

Post a Comment