Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Monday, February 9, 2009

Ants

I don't like Mondays. The only reason I function semi-decently on Mondays is because I keep a very regular schedule. However, today's schedule got thrown for a loop because Glitter was seriously sleep deprived due to the weekend's festivities. She fell asleep on the sofa in the morning when I was doing school with Sparkle. Then I found that a black and sticky liquid oozed into my pencil box and contaminated all the pencils as well as everyone who needed something to write with.

Yet, somehow morning school got done, laundry got washed and put away, and lunch got eaten. We even got in a bit of music appreciation -- I had the piano play the Pathetique sonata (second movement) from Beethoven, and told the girls the name of the song. We also listened to the second half of "The Yellow Dwarf" in "The Blue Fairy Book" during lunch.

Finally we made it to the library. On the sidewalk by the library, there were two small piles of ants on the sidewalk. On the way back out we stopped for a closer examination.


After looking at the ants, we continued to the gardens. Sparkle drew a picture of the pond, including the small waterfall, two fish, and coins on the bottom. Sparkle also revisited the spiderweb we saw last week. There still was no spider, but this time there was a fly trapped in the web. With the help of the magnifying glass, we could see that the fly was still alive - its rear legs were stuck in the web, but its front legs were waving like mad to get free.

We also observed the white, yellow, and orange pansies in the color garden. The girls went through a hedge "maze." Sparkle picked up a small branch and a piece of bark and had me narrate what we'd seen so that she could pretended to write it for me. When she got to the end of the bark, she had me stop. Then she discovered the other side of the bark, so I narrated more until it was filled up as well.

2 comments:

  1. You work your girls hard. I bet they thrive on it. I still need to get my moving at 9:30a.m. UGH! I am just a "bad mom!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only reason I'm moving before 9:30am is because that's when Glitter's preschool starts. Oh, and because the kids would complain that they're hungry.

    ReplyDelete