Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Timelines, Timelines, Timelines

When I like something, it seems like I end up with multiples of it, like when there were three kiddie bikes in the garage, when I had only one child, or when I had six car seats but only two kids. That's why I have three abacuses. That's why there are two giant maps plus two globes in the house. That's why I have three to six timelines, depending on how you count them.

I experimented with a "make your own" timeline, but decided that it just wasn't for me. I was doing all the work and there were too many questions of what figures to use, where to place them, etc. for me to actually get around to doing it. Then I had a lightbulb moment. I have fully labeled maps on the walls. When we are interested in a country we look it up on the map, where it is already colored in and labeled. Why not do the same thing with a timeline? Instead of building the timeline, just get a preprinted one and look things up on it.

Wander is also really generous with the homeschool budget. He allowed me to buy both the "World History Book and Wall Chart" and "The Classical Education Timeline" set. I removed the Wall Chart from the book, had it laminated, and stuck it to the wall under the world map on the landing of stairs. This timeline is packed with info and uses a consistent scale. However, it only goes back to 1000BC.


The Classical Education Timeline set is four different timelines, each with its own scale. It goes back to 5000 BC, but overall has less information. The set also takes up a lot of room. I have the set stretched out on our dining room table.


Sad to say, I feel that we don't use the timelines to their full potential. We refer to them when something peaks our interest. For example, on Columbus day, it was neat to find when "Columbus discovers America" on the timeline. But I don't do a history curriculum yet. Well, the timelines are there whenever I do start history.

Now, if you've been keeping track, you'll note that I accounted for only two (or five) timelines so far. I recently found out about an index card timeline, where the cards are stored loose in a box. I decided that was a method of making a custom timeline that I could manage.

Here is the box. It has lots of room to grow, and the dividers are movable.


So far, we have only about five index cards in the box - mostly composers from the music appreciation that I do informally at breakfast. I made the first two index cards, but then Sparkle wanted to make them. So, I print off a picture and some very basic info on the person. I tape the picture to the card, and then Sparkle copies the text onto the card. Here is a completed card for Mozart, and Sparkle working on a card for Tchaikovsky.


After completing the card, I had Sparkle find the item on the map (Russia for Tchaikovsky) and on the other timelines (if it's there).

Then she files the card in the box, hopefully to be seen some time again.

All of our timeline work has been informal, but so far it has been fun and I can see Sparkle start to make some connections - like who was alive at the same time and who wasn't, and how earlier people influenced later people, but not vice versa.

No comments:

Post a Comment