Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Thursday, February 12, 2009

New Spelling System

I started a new spelling system.

I manage it using a blog. You can see it at http://spellinglog.blogspot.com/

It is still a work in progress, but I'm liking it so far.

If you want to know more, check out the "How It Works" link at the top of the blog.

Here is Sparkle's spelling for one day.

The gray box is where Sparkle wrote her name and the date.

I dictated the first two sentences for Sparkle to write. It was the first time for her to write "sung" and "zoo" from dictation. The words "each" and "summer" were core review words that she learned last week. The rest of the words are words that she already knows how to spell. Since she spelled all the words correctly from dictation, she won't have to repeat any of the words the next day. The core words ("each" and "summer") will go on the review list. Since it's been a week or two since she last used them, the next review will be in about a month.

Next, Sparkle and I discussed the capitalization and punctuation on the third sentence and she copied it. The words "miss" and "feet" were words I taught her the day before, so this sentence provided practice writing them.

Then we discussed the spellings of the new words "add" and "lace" and she came up with the fourth and last sentence. I helped her spell the word "shoe" since she hasn't been taught that word yet.

2 comments:

  1. Still confused. I love that you are tracking it and your success. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the spelling system is confusing because it is really a mess cobbled from a bunch of other spelling and language arts programs. But I love the simplicity and predictability of the day to day implementation.
    I updated the "How It Works" topic with a better intro.

    ReplyDelete