Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Friday, February 13, 2009

Picture Study List

This post is to record our picture studies. In general, I aim to do one picture study per week.

I plan to update this post periodically as we do a new picture. The most recent picture is at the top of the list.

Mary Cassatt -Woman in Black at the Opera
I printed this picture from the AOArtPrints yahoo group.
I knew that last week's new process (both of us doing oral narrations and no copying of the picture) was a hit because Sparkle was excited when she saw me take out a new picture. I put the picture on the magnetic display wall and we stood on the stairs to observe it, instead of sitting at at table or on the floor.

Mary Cassatt - The Child's Bath
I printed this picture from the AOArtPrints yahoo group.
I gave up on having Sparkle draw a copy of the picture. She was getting too frustrated because she felt her picture didn't look like the original. I continued with straight oral narration without me writing anything down. I also decided that Sparkle needed more modeling of how to narrate a picture, but I didn't want to narrate the same picture as her because I wanted to hear her ideas. So, she narrated this picture and I narrated last week's picture.
The new process worked well and Sparkle enjoyed it.

Mary Cassatt - Young Mother Sewing
I printed this picture from the AOArtPrints yahoo group.
I went to straight oral narration without me writing anything down. Sparkle talked mostly about colors.

Mary Cassatt - The Boating Party
I printed this picture from the AOArtPrints yahoo group.
After some prompting I got Sparkle to talk about the colors and the people. I need to work on seeing more of what is going on in the picture, such as how the people might be feeling.

Mary Cassatt - Children on the Shore
I printed this picture from the Ambleside Online Art Prints (AOArtPrints) yahoo group.
I tried having Sparkle narrate the picture for me to write, and then had her draw a copy of the picture. I had mixed results.

***********
My previous post about picture study is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment