Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Teatime with Glitter

We had our first teatime with Glitter yesterday. It wasn't a rousing success, but it wasn't a failure either. At least there were no broken dishes, unlike the first teatime with Sparkle.

In the past I've tried to squeeze teatime in just before picking up Glitter from preschool. However, that time kept getting squeezed and squeezed by school and errands until there was barely anything left. So, I decided to try postponing teatime until after we got home with Glitter.

Upon picking up Glitter we announced to her that she would get to participate in teatime. We explained that she had to be on her best behavior during teatime. She was agreeable. It wasn't looking so good when there was an argument over who would get the "snowman" mug. Neither would give in at all. Finally, I decreed that no-one would get the "snowman" mug, and we would all get plain mugs. Then things went a bit more smoothly. Both girls enjoyed their hot chocolate. I placed a bowl of ice cubes on the table, which helped cool down the hot chocolate for them. I read from "Now We Are Six" including Sparkle's favorite, "Buckingham Palace". Sparkle accepted that I didn't want her bringing her own book of poetry to the table this time, as things were crowded, but she did read from my book. It took a while to get Glitter to stop chattering in the middle of a poem, but eventually she was able to be quite for an entire poem, if it were a very short one.



Overall, I think teatimes with just Sparkle and I were more calm and I enjoyed the poetry more. However, it was also nice not feeling rushed to hurry up and finish in time to pick up Glitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment