Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Monday, February 2, 2009

Valentine Cards

I don't know why, but I decided to do homemade Valentine's Day cards for the girls.

The girls need a bunch for the homeschool group's Valentine's Party. Glitter needs more for the party at her preschool. I decided that the best way to get massive amounts of cards done was to have them paint them. Paint covers a large surface quickly - far more quickly than markers, crayons, or pencils. Paint is also cheaper than stickers, considering that I had some stashed away because I was too afraid of the mess to let the girls use it.

However, the girls did okay with limited mess. (All the paint was washable.) They started out with watercolors, but quickly decided that they preferred the squeeze brush paint. My plan was for them to just fill the little pieces of cardstock with color, and I would later glue a heart shape on each card. Glitter was happy making random strokes but Sparkle wanted to paint pictures. Eventually I was able to explain the process to Sparkle and she was able to paint cards much more quickly.


We set the cards out to dry on the dining room table.


The following day, when the paint had dried, I cut out overlays with a heart shaped opening and glued them to the painted cards. Sparkle took these pictures of me gluing (as well as a zillion other pictures, since she normally doesn't get to touch my camera). You can see the the finished cards in the top of the last picture.


Now I just need to get Sparkle to sign her cards. I wonder if I can convince Sparkle to sign Glitter's cards too. I should probably just do it myself and get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment