Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Picture study

I'm intrigued by the idea Charlotte Mason idea of picture study. I like the idea of inputting visual information, processing it, and turning it into verbal information.

I decided to try doing a weekly picture study. I've tried to do picture study in various ways in the past but it has always flopped, but my most recent method seems to be working.

I downloaded some pictures from the Internet and printed them on regular paper. I started with pictures by Mary Cassatt. Once a week, I show a new painting to Sparkle. This week it was "The Boating Party." After giving her a chance to look at the picture, I had Sparkle dictate her description of the picture to me. When she wasn't sure what to say, I prompted her with leading questions. I tried to write her words exactly as she spoke them, without worrying about complete sentences. If she said something unclear or incorrect, I asked for clarification and wrote her revised statements. Finally, I had Sparkle draw a copy of the painting.

You can see the print-out of the painting in the lower left corner of the photo below. I had to tell Glitter that she wasn't allowed to play with the colored pencils when Sparkle was using them for school.


Here is the result. Sparkle's drawing is at the top, and my writing of her dictation is at the bottom.


When she's done, both the print of the original and Sparkle's narration page are posted on the magnetic display wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment