Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Monday, March 2, 2009

Boxcar Children

I've been reading The Boxcar Children to the girls at bedtime. Sparkle enjoys the story and, with prompting, usually remembers what happened in previous chapters. Glitter is learning to be quiet and not interrupt in the middle of the reading.

Right now I'm taking a break from my normal Monday routine to type this. I had been taking a break from school to swap out some laundry when I heard the girls playing that they were the boxcar children. Sparkle told me that the baby she had wrapped in a blanket was Benny. She was Jessie, and Glitter was Violet. I asked her where Watch was, and she wasn't sure until I asked if he was the stuffed puppy at her feet. Then, just to test her a little, I asked where Henry was. Sparkle said that he was invisible. I was a bit disappointed in that answer, and maybe it showed, because she quickly changed her mind and said that he was gone. I waited a moment to see if she would remember any more from the story, and eventually I got what I wanted from her. Henry was out working at Dr. Moore's house. Ah, yes, she was paying attention to the story.

Technically this isn't a school activity - it is something the girls just decided to play in their own free time. However, it is neat to see how they internalize things from books that I do sort of consider part of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment