Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Thursday, March 26, 2009

a short day of school

This Wednesday our playgroup stuffed eggs for the church Easter egg hunt to take place this weekend.

I decided to cut out most of morning school in order to make it to playgroup early to help stuff eggs. I thought we could squeeze in spelling, though. I put Sparkle's spelling notebook on a clipboard and gave her dictation in the car. Other than the inevitable handwriting difficulties, it actually worked. When she was done writing the sentence, she passed the clipboard to me and I told her what corrections to make. I won't be doing car dictation on a regular basis, though, due to the handwriting issues and the difficulties in her self-correcting her work.

I saved the copywork and word analysis part of spelling for when we were at playgroup. I had poor Sparkle sit at the table and do her spelling while the toddlers played and the moms stuffed eggs. She had a hard time concentrating, and one of the other moms commented about how hard it must be for her to work with all the distractions.


After Sparkle finished her schoolwork, she went off to read. Sparkle spent most of her time at playgroup reading. Glitter copied her sister.


Meanwhile the moms finished stuffing the eggs with the help of the kids.


After we got home Sparkle and I had lunch. Glitter fell asleep in the car and continued her nap on the sofa. Then after lunch, Sparkle fell asleep too! So we didn't do any afternoon school. I finally woke Sparkle when it was time to get ready for dance class. Then I carried a still groggy Glitter into the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment