Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

teatime and 5 minute chocolate cake

I've gotten the email with the recipe for the 5 minute chocolate cake a few of times now from different people. I decided to give it a go for teatime. I figured that if it was just enough dessert for one or two people, it would be about the right amount of treat for me and the two girls.

First I looked it up on the internet to make sure that it wasn't a complete hoax. I found that many had heard of the recipe, but not as many had tried it. Then I found that some who tried it found it too rubbery to eat. Finally, I found a posting from someone who had an edible result. Good enough for me.

Here's the version that I used, adapted for what I had on hand.

1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 T baking powder
1 egg
3 T oil
1/4 cup soymilk
1/4 cup chocolate chips

I mixed it up in my glass quart size measuring cup. Then I nuked it for three minutes. It didn't look as strange as others had reported, and because it was a larger cup, it didn't overflow. It also tipped over nicely onto a plate and looked somewhat reasonable.



Before serving the girls, I warned them that if it tasted bad, the polite thing to do was to simply stop eating it and not say anything about it. (After all, part of teatime is getting them to learn manners.) However, it turned out not to be a problem. Both of them liked it. I was a bit suspicious, but I also tried it and found it passable. Not fantastic, but worth the effort. Both girls wanted seconds and thirds. However, it ended up being more cake than I wanted them to have, and so I convinced them that we should save some for Daddy.


This cake was also one of the more messy treats that we've had for teatime. The girls are supposed to use their forks and napkins. However, Sparkle managed to spill her lemonade, and Glitter was shoveling cake from her plate into her mouth with a half inch gap in between the two.



I think that I'll keep this cake in my box of tricks, but it's a bit much for a regular basis.

I keep telling myself that this system of subjecting my kids to poetry is supposed to make them better students and I'm supposed to see the payoff in only two to five short years. (Just kidding. The girls really enjoy teatime and ask for it often.)

No comments:

Post a Comment