Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Monday, March 16, 2009

Sparkle makes salad

Sparkle was hanging out by me when I was making salads for supper. I wondered when she would be old enough to make the salads herself, so I asked her what she thought. She answered, "probably six." I was amused by that. I had assumed that she would say that she wanted to right then, or would give an outrageously old age. Then, of course, a few seconds later Sparkle asked if she could help make the salads right then.

Sparkle pretty much knew what to do, having watched me make salads frequently. (I learned how to make salads from watching Wander's mother.) First you tear the lettuce into pieces into the bowls. Then you cut the veggies, and sprinkle them on top of the lettuce. I guided Sparkle and cringed several times when the knife got really close to her fingers, but mostly just watched. I told Sparkle to think about what each person likes on their salads and how much each would eat: Glitter doesn't eat much lettuce and doesn't like celery; we all like carrot; Glitter really likes cucumber; Sparkle doesn't like tomato.



The chunks of veggies were a bit lopsided, and I cut the tomato myself, but Sparkle's handiwork was pretty good for a first time. I wonder how soon I can turn salad making over to her as a regular chore. (I've already told her that she's in charge of making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for Friday lunches.)

No comments:

Post a Comment