Homebody Wander Sparkle (age 8) Glitter (age 6)

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Art Museum

Our homeschool group went on a school tour of the local fine arts museum. Because I had to drop Glitter off at preschool, I didn't know if I could make it to the the museum in time for the tour. Then another homeschooling mom volunteered to take Sparkle early with her. I was tempted by the idea of not going to the museum and having a few hours to myself. However, Wander's jealousy over the opportunity to visit the museum convinced me that I should go. After dropping Glitter off, I headed downtown. Ugh. I forgot just how yucky city traffic is. Fortunately the early morning rain had cleared up.

We met up with the group just barely in time. The docent led us through the museum and read two picture books to the kiddos. The docent showed us a pointillism picture, and a Tiffany stained glass. We saw two Mary Cassatt's, which I found neat as we had been doing picture study of her pictures. We also saw the original of the Matisse that we have on our fridge. (Years ago a friend visited the museum and got us the magnet, and it's been on our fridge ever since.) After the tour, we looked around a bit. Sparkle was more interested in squirreling around with the other girls her age, but she was eager to draw a picture when another mom pulled out paper and colored pencils.




Then we had lunch in the sculpture garden, and the kids ran around.


After lunch, we returned to the museum. By now we had lost track of the group, and Sparkle and I wandered around on our own. She pointed out pictures that she found interesting, and payed attention to the artwork more without lots of fun kids around.

On the road back, I missed the freeway entrance. But, God was looking out for me. I ended up going on until I got to the HOV lane, which opened only a few minutes before I got there. At first it wasn't any faster, but soon I was flying by stacks of cars. We went straight to Glitter's preschool and got there just in time to pick her up. If I had gotten on the freeway at the original entrance, I would have been caught in traffic and late picking up Glitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment